The mission of the Department of Education is to meet the national, cultural and developmental needs of the island. Specifically, the mission of the Department is noted below:
- Producing and disseminating knowledge in the Pedagogical Sciences.
- Identifying, researching and studying educational issues.
- Educating Elementary and Kindergarten Teachers for Cyprus schools.
- Providing pedagogical training for those wishing to teach in Secondary and Technical Education.
- Providing in-service training and staff development courses for school personnel.
- Providing graduate programmes with the aim of preparing research personnel and people who will assume responsibility for leadership positions within the educational system.
In order to fulfill its mission, the Department has developed:
- A programme of study for teacher education leading to a Bachelor's degree in Elementary and Kindergarten education.
- A programme of study leading to teacher certification for prospective Secondary and Technical Education teachers.
- Graduate programmes in Educational Administration and Evaluation, Curriculum Development and Instruction, Mathematics Education, Natural Sciences, Pedagogical Sciences, Methodology of Mathematics, Special and Inclusive Education and Language Pedagogy, leading to Master's and Doctoral degrees.
Furthermore, the Department intends to develop the following programmes:
- New graduate programmes in order to achieve its developmental goals and meet existing needs in the Cyprus educational system.
- In-service training and staff development programmes for educators of all levels.
Members of the academic staff of the Department have varied research interests and are currently involved in numerous research projects. The research areas include: history of education, philosophy and sociology of education, educational effectiveness and didactics of specific domains of educations.
Some of the above programmes are conducted in cooperation with foreign research centres and universities and are externally funded.
The Department of Education has established its presence in Cyprus as well as in Europe. In order to fulfill this goal, the Department is already undertaking joint research projects with other universities and international organizations such as UNESCO, the Council of Europe, the European Union and the Commonwealth. Additionally, the Department organizes international conferences, lectures and seminars.
At the same time the Department assists and promotes school development. This goal is fulfilled by offering a pre-service training programme for Secondary and Technical Education teachers.